[Koha-devel] hourly circulation policies

Daniel Sweeney daniel.sweeney at liblime.com
Thu Oct 16 16:19:10 CEST 2008

Hi Nicolas and Paul,

In the North American case, and the way I have it written up now, an
hourly loan is basically a regular loan, just shorter. A patron can't
borrow the items for more than two hours, the same way they can't
borrow the item for more than three weeks for a different kind of
item. For a given item, there is only one way it can be, so having a
single set of policies works in that model. As Nicolas points out,
this is not true in the reservation libraries model.

In the reservation libraries case we've been talking about, the way
that Paul describes it was what I was thinking about a little bit,
where there were two sets of policies available, and the circulation
staff member would choose one or the other with a checkbox or a menu.
The policies are easy to understand--there are two kinds of loan with
different policies.

That aspect of it is an interesting user interface design challenge--
people usually want the circulation work areas to be optimized for
fast processing, but there are a lot of options available in there.
The actual user interface might get cluttered and staff might start to
loan things with the wrong policies, or get annoyed that they have to
switch the menu back and forth from one loan type to another.  Those
two things start to conflict.

I might be worrying too much about it--just adding a sticky drop-down
menu for the checkout type might work there. I think this is something
that someone could add as a separate project after the initial hourly
loans work is done--the actual hourly loans are independent of having
more than one loan type.

Best,

Dan

Daniel Sweeney