[Koha-devel] configuration files for Debian packaging 3/3 (default configuration)

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Oct 30 10:14:32 CET 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml at free.fr> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  As I've a few free time, I'm trying to complete a first version of
> Debian Koha packaging.
>  I've a few questions for koha/zebra/.. guru that I separate in 3 mails.
>
>  Here is the third mail.
>
>  Most of the koha configuration (mostly what is asked by Makefile.PL)
> will be handled by debconf. I needed to know for the following questions
> if there is a sensible default to the question.
>  Debconf offers to setup a default answer and we also have to
> setup the level of the question. On a typical basic installation,
> only question of level 'high' will be asked (other will get the
> default value). Debconf levels are:
> * low    Very trivial items that have defaults that will  work  in
>         the  vast  majority  of  cases;  only  control freaks see
>         these.
> * medium Normal items that have reasonable defaults.
> * high   Items that don't have a reasonable default.
> * critical
>         Items that will probably break the  system  without  user
>         intervention.
>
> So, here are my propositions/questions
>
> Using zebra or not: will be selected by the choice of the packages
>  (koha-zebra or koha-nozebra)
>
> MARC format for Zebra indexing
>  Default: UNIMARC ?
>  Level: high ? [1]

Default should be MARC21 as 90% of libraries use it.
I agree it's level 'high'

> Primary language for Zebra indexing
>  Default: en ?
>  Level: high ? [1]
Agreed.

> Authorities indexing mode
>  Default: dom ?
>  Level: medium ? [is not dom more powerful than grs1?]
dom is more powerful, but only available for MARC21 authorities in
3.0, so this should be high.

> Enable SRU?
>  Default: no ?
>  Level: medium ?
Agreed.

> SRU Database host? (only if SRU is enabled)
>  Default: localhost ?
>  Level: low ?
Agreed.

> SRU port for bibliographic data? (only if SRU is enabled)
>  Default: ?
>  Level: high ? [2]
Agreed (210 is the standard port).

> SRU port for authority data? (only if SRU is enabled)
>  Default: ?
>  Level: high ? [2]
(Agreed (211 perhaps?)

> Enable Pazpar2 ?
>  Default: no ?
>  Level: medium ?
Agreed.

> Zebra bibliographic server host? (only if Pazpar2 is enabled)
>  Default: localhost ?
>  Level: low ?
Agreed.

> Zebra bibliographic port for PazPar2 to use? (only if Pazpar2 is enabled)
>  Default: ?
>  Level: high [2]
Agreed (not sure about port)

> PazPar2 host? (only if Pazpar2 is enabled)
>  Default: localhost
>  Level: low ?
Agreed.

> PazPar2 port? (only if Pazpar2 is enabled)
>  Default: ?
>  Level: high ? [2]
Agreed (not sure of the best port).

Hope that helps, and thanks for your effort!

Josh

> [1]: if you tell me in the previous mail (mail 2/3) that it is
>  easy to switch from a setup to the other one, then I will
>  lowered the level to 'medium'
>
> [2]: if you can give me sensible default port, then the level can be
>  lowered to 'low'
>
>  So, if any guru can confirm/answer to my guesses, it would be easier for
> me to manage the configuration files without messing up all things and
> allowing a very easy default koha installation on Debian.
>
>  Best regards,
>    Vincent
>
> --
> Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean at debian.org
> GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87
> Unofficial pacakges: http://www-id.imag.fr/~danjean/deb.html#package
> APT repo:  deb http://perso.debian.org/~vdanjean/debian unstable main

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support