[Koha-devel] availability of a reserved item

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Oct 31 12:35:42 CET 2008

OK, everybody seems to be OK with the diagnostic. Now, what could be the
solution ?

technical issue : our "problem" is that, in 3.0, everything in the
result list comes from zebra : the biblio, the items, and the item status.
in the detail page, things comes from SQL DB

So I see 3 possibilities :
- don't display "hold status" in result list, but only in detail page.
pro : very easy to code, clean from internal point of view. cons : not
sufficient !
- update the result list on the fly, through SQL queries, to check is
items are not reserved. pro : quite easy to code. cons : NOT clean at
all from an internal point of view, SQL consuming, and won't appear on
zebra direct queries (I think this 2nd cons is much less harmful than
the 1st)
- improve the MARC item support to handle hold. That would mean a lot of
things to do : choose a MARC field where to handle "hold" status, update
zebra, update search.pm, and a lot of complex things to handle. pro :
the best way to do it, no doubt. cons : very complex, can't be done quickly.

If someone see another way to do that, I would be very happy to read it !

Otherwise, which solution should be preferred according to you ? I hope
developers & users will be able to have the same position, although i'm
afraid it may not be the case.

My vote is :
- code #1 in 3.0.x, as it's better than nothing and can be an acceptable
workaround + it's clean from an internal point of view, as, in every
case, we will have to do it.
- code #3 in 3.x

(sorry to bother you, Americans with one more vote, when you have a so
important one to do next week ;-) )

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com