[Koha-devel] RFC: decide on one OAI-PMH server implementation

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Wed Apr 1 19:04:13 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have pushed Frédéric Demians OAI-PMH server to HEAD.  We now have
two OAI-PMH servers, and I propose that we replace the older one with
Frédéric's new code for the following reasons:

* Unlike the older implementation, it is based on an OAI-PMH module
(HTTP::OAI) that is in CPAN and is actively updated.
* It is easier to add new metadata formats to HTTP::OAI based servers
- rather than writing code to implement the new format, only a new
XSLT to convert from MARCXML to the desired format is required.
Frédéric's patch demonstrates that by adding support for MARCXML.
* The new implementation is more compact, requiring only about 500
lines of non-CPAN code as compared to about 1800 for the older
implementation.
* The newer version acts as a drop-in replacement for the older implementation.

I ask all interested developers to test and compare the two OAI
implementations and provide feedback.  If I receive no feedback or
sufficient reasons to not proceed with this proposal, I will remove
the older implementation from HEAD after a week has passed.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton