[Koha-devel] Should we be cleaning zebraqueue and action_logs tables periodically?

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Mon Apr 27 21:04:23 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Michael Hafen <mdhafen at tech.washk12.org> wrote:
> Truncating the zebraqueue table, as noted by Ryan with this patch, is
> probably something Koha itself should do periodically.  Last time I
> looked at the cron example I didn't see anything to this end.  The data
> in the table is quite small, but there are still a lot of rows there.

The data in zebraqueue has very little use once a record has been
successfully reindexed, so periodically purging completed entries is a
good idea.

> This could also be applied to the action_logs table, which holds more
> data, and has more rows in my installation.
>
> Problem is troubleshooting or data retention requirements.  I suppose
> there should be some config option to set a threshold on how old of data
> should be kept here.  Or maybe a system preference could do that job.

There's is more need to retain data from action_logs, as for some
types of transactions it is the only available source of audit and
statistical information.  IMO, a cronjob that cleans old action_log
entries needs the following:

* fine-grained configuration of which types of entries to purge and
what the age threshold for each type should be
* the ability to dump purged entries to a CSV or XML file.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton