[Koha-devel] Should we be cleaning zebraqueue and action_logs tables periodically?

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Mon Apr 27 20:54:17 CEST 2009

Please forgive me for pulling this bit from the patches list.  I think
the relevant discussion should be on this list.

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 13:29 -0400, Ryan Higgins wrote:
> If you've never truncated your zebraqueue table, you might want to
> update your index and truncate it before applying this patch and running updatedatabase.

Truncating the zebraqueue table, as noted by Ryan with this patch, is
probably something Koha itself should do periodically.  Last time I
looked at the cron example I didn't see anything to this end.  The data
in the table is quite small, but there are still a lot of rows there.

This could also be applied to the action_logs table, which holds more
data, and has more rows in my installation.

Problem is troubleshooting or data retention requirements.  I suppose
there should be some config option to set a threshold on how old of data
should be kept here.  Or maybe a system preference could do that job.

I for one would like to see Koha clearing these table itself, so there
is one less thing for me to take care of.  This is especially important
to me as I didn't realize before today that these tables would be as
large as they are ( as far as number of rows is concerned ).  I would
say it's safe to assume other system admins also aren't thinking about
the size of these tables.

Comments please.

--
Michael Hafen