[Koha-devel] koha with better support for postgresql

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed Dec 2 19:29:01 CET 2009

2009/12/3 Joe Atzberger <ohiocore at gmail.com>:
> This isn't going to happen any time soon, if ever.  It is, in my opinion, a
> waste of time to try to convert all the existing SQL statements and
> structure to be both mysql and PG-compatible, leading to a lot of
> duplication in almost every C4 subroutine.  In particular, such effort could
> be more fruitfully applied to OO mapping and/or a DBIx::Class abstraction
> layer.  That moves the codebase away from a specific DB implementation and
> towards something truly useful.

And that is indeed the plan, for 3.4.
I have started on preliminary work for this, and it is going well. But
yes database abstraction is a key goal for 3.4.0.
I have successfully created a schema using DBIx::Class and the
exisitng mysql database, and then created a postgres database using
that schema. Worked fine.

At the moment tho, I am doing testing on the 500 or so changes that
were pushed last night for the 3.2.0 release. After the 3.2.0 release
the DBIx::Class work in progress branch will start being worked on
again.

Chris