[Koha-devel] Which is the best Linux flavour to work with Koha ?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Dec 8 15:26:36 CET 2009

G.K.MANJUNATH asked:
> We installed Koha on Fedora, Ubuntu and Debain and did not face any
> problem. I understand that, Debian is what most people use.
>
> I need some suggestions. Which is the best Linux flavour to work on,
> especially with Koha and why ?  Can any one please clarify ?

In our co-op, that's not specifically a Koha question, although Koha
does work well on Debian.  We have many years of experience in both
using and developing the debian operating system and various services
and applications on top of it.  We've also got years developing on
other systems, but out of all the things we've tried, debian is what
has made our life easier and made our users happiest, on average.

We're not fixed on it and we'll work with various other systems, but
it's my preference.

Probably it's more generally used because with the various parts which
all need to work together to support Koha (kernel, apache httpd,
mysqld, zebra and so on) have all fitted together pretty well on
debian for a while and upgraded fairly smoothly each time.  The number
of unpackaged parts needed is getting fewer and fewer.

debian is also the product of "a massive cooperative effort"
(then debian project leader Branden Robinson, speaking to Tux Journal)
so it fits very well with our values and principles.

> Most important, we would like to use the same OS for other open source
> software such as Dspace and Greestone.

Probably should ask them what they run well on, but I'd be surprised
if they find debian difficult.

Good luck!
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software