[Koha-devel] Help with SQL report

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Thu Dec 10 23:52:14 CET 2009

2009/12/11 Adrea Lund <adrea at moablibrary.org>:
> Thank you for all the responses.  I should have explained more clearly that
> I know extremely little about mysql - so some of the comments I've gotten
> from the lists I sent this to are going right over my head.  But I do
> promise that once we have a working report(s), I will make sure it gets
> posted to the KOHA community report repository.
>
> We realized that we have a major problem with the sql reports that I posted
> previously.  These reports do not include zero circulations when listing
> items with less than three circulations.  We are using this for weeding so
> we definitely want to know about those zero circulation items!  Beverly has
> been a wonderfully helpful, but does not know how to solve this problem.
> Perhaps we need to approach this report in a different way?  I will explain
> what we are trying to get and attach an example to this email.
>
> I'll try to answer Chris Cormack's question and describe our ideal report -
>
> It would allow you to specify the following variables...
> 1) a specific call number range
> 2) a specific time frame - _____ date to _____ date
> 3) choose "greater than," "less than" or "equal to" a specific a number of
> circulations.
> For example the report could list all "copies with less than 3 circulations"
> in the specified call number range (MUSIC 1999 CD to MUSIC ZZ TOP CD) during
> the specified time period (2004-01-01 to 2009-12-31).
> Circulations = issues+renewals+local use
>
> I am attaching a copy of a page from the circulation report we used to use
> with our old ILS - Follett.  The attached .pdf is listing oversize
> non-fiction books with less than 3 circulations between 1/1/2004 and
> 4/28/2009.  So it gives you items that meet this criteria and also lists the
> following data -  total circulations for today, total circulations this
> month, total circulations year to date, total circulations last year, and
> total circulations during the specified time period.
>
> So, that is what we need.  I hope my efforts to explain, are not making this
> more confusing :)  The final report does not need to look like the attached
> report, it just needs to have the data.
>
> We would greatly appreciate any help, and think that this type of
> circulation report (or something similar) is an essential tool for
> librarians who regularly weed their collections.
>
> Regarding Chris Nighswonger's comment - We are hoping to eventually move to
> LEK, and I can test the reports in our LEK sandbox.  If we could get a
> report working with our current database that would be a great first step.
> We are currently using KOHA version 3.01.00.032.

Hi Andrea

If you are moving to LEK, we can't really help you too much. Since LEK
is not Koha, we don't know what database changes and code changes have
been made in LEK.
We could write something like this for Koha, so that all libraries
would get the benefit of it. But I wouldn't be comfortable doing one
tailored to work in LEK, so it can be locked away.

Chris