[Koha-devel] Koha Debian package

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Dec 11 16:55:40 CET 2009

Walls, Ian asked:
> Has there been any recent progress (since March) on a Koha debian
> package, as detailed here:
> http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=debian_packaging_work.  I know that
> one of the blockers, MARC::File::XML 0.88, has changed (now that
> we’re at v.0.91), so does that make the job easier?

Our co-op quoted for making the deb in April 2009 but nothing since.
I think libhttp-oai-perl may still need packaging.  If anyone is
interested in sponsoring the work, please let me know.  We'll get
around to filing it in bugs.koha.org one day.

> Similarly, as Senthil mentioned in the early email below, there is a
> CPAN package for all the Perl pre-reqs for Koha.  Is that being
> maintained?  Could it be turned into a debian package, and linked as
> a prereq for the Koha .deb?

I think it isn't maintained.  It could be turned into a debian package
but I do not see any benefit to the debian packaging in doing so.  The
CPAN bundle package seems more likely to help people installing from
source or less friendly distributions.

[...]
> I'd be happy to put some effort towards making this all happen; I
> just need to know what the current state of affairs is, and perhaps
> get a pointer to some resources for creating and submitting debian
> packages.

http://www.debian.org/devel/ has the packaging manual and developers
reference.  The last 3.0 effort is still on the collab-maint git tree,
but probably the new debhelper and debian source formats could make
a better and easier to update package now.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.announce/1413

If you submit it to http://mentors.debian.net/ and include me as an
Uploader, it should email me and then I will review the package and
upload it to the main distributon when time permits.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software