[Koha-devel] Frameworks

Wagner, Jane jwagner at ptfs.com
Mon Feb 2 13:53:05 CET 2009

Thanks, Chris.  I thought from the documentation that the framework
served the data entry template function, but I'm still not clear on a
few points.  In the Sirsi-verse, the format policy serves three
purposes.

* It defines the MARC format, and must be updated when the MARC standard
changes (new fields defined, new subfields defined, fields
repeatable/not repeatable, etc.).  Does the Koha framework set the MARC
standard for the system?  If so, how does it get updated when the
standard changes?  Do site administrators need to modify it manually?
Do updates happen automatically with Koha version upgrades?  Do each of
the framework policies need to be updated?  Or does Koha handle the MARC
standard definition elsewhere?

* Along with an accompanying policy it defines what fields/subfields
display in the OPAC and how they're labeled.  Staff can always see all
MARC fields in edit mode, but display depends on the policies.  Does the
framework control OPAC display in Koha?  How are things like staff notes
and other internal data fields hidden from public display?  I haven't
dug into the web template pages yet -- maybe display setup happen there.

* The Sirsi format policy controls index settings.  I understand that in
Koha those are handled separately, through the Zebra setup.  Is that
correct?  (I've also seen reference to non-Zebra indexing in the system
preferences, but I gather those are irrelevant if we're using Zebra.)

If anyone can point me to some documentation on frameworks, I'd be
grateful.  I've found some brief mentions in other docs, but nothing in
depth.  In particular, I'd like to know the implications of modifying a
framework policy.

Thanks much.

Jane Wagner
Library Systems Analyst