[Koha-devel] Frameworks

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Mon Feb 2 14:18:41 CET 2009

Dear Jane,

same answer to your question:

>* It defines the MARC format, and must be updated when the MARC standard
>changes (new fields defined, new subfields defined, fields
>repeatable/not repeatable, etc.).  Does the Koha framework set the MARC
>standard for the system?

No, the decision of MARC format to use is in the admin preferecence
'marcflavour'
Now the value can be 'MARC21' or 'UNIMARC'

>  Do site administrators need to modify it manually?
Yes, the definiton of the framework with all MARc fields is a long
number of SQL lines in
installer/data/mysql/en/marcflavour/unimarc/mandatory/unimarc_framework_DEFAULT.sql
[for Unimarc]
and in
installer/data/mysql/en/marcflavour/marc21/mandatory/marc21_framework_DEFAULT.sql
[for MARC21]

>Do updates happen automatically with Koha version upgrades?
No, during Koha update you mantain the frameworks that you have.

>* The Sirsi format policy controls index settings.  I understand that in
>Koha those are handled separately, through the Zebra setup.  Is that
>correct?
Yes, frameworks and indexes are not connect.

Bye
Zeno Tajoli

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)