[Koha-devel] Git Repository Questions

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Tue Jan 6 23:06:46 CET 2009

This is similar to what I do for myself.  The only difference is, for
me, KohaDevServer and MyKohaGit are the same server.  So I actually pull
to a private repo on Dev and then push to MyKohaGit once things are
stable ( in theory ).  Pulls are fine, and I push straight to the file
system.

Ok, maybe it isn't that similar.

At any rate, I expect you're setup will have two challenges.  First is
getting what you pull from git.koha.org to jive with what's in
MyKohaGit.  I like to rebase when I pull ( which may not be the best
way, but it's cleaner ).  This means I often have to resolve conflicts
where my patches don't apply after a pull.  Makes things interesting for
those who pull from my repo.  The other challenge will be getting
MyKohaGit setup so you can push to it from KohaDevServer.  I think it's
been done on git.koha.org so the release maintainers can push patches
up.  I don't know how, but they might be able to help.

To answer your question, yes, it is as simple as cloning git.koha.org.
The only question is do you log into MyKohaGit for the pulls, or do you
pull to KohaDevServer, and push from there to MyKohaGit.

I'd recommend pulling from git.koha.org to KohaDevServer.  Then you can
resolve any patch conflicts before you push to MyKohaGit.  Depending on
how you pull and resolve conflicts you might have to force the push.
The way I do it I have to, because my patches change as necessary to
follow changes from git.koha.org.  This will cause some difficulties
when pulling to KohaProductionServer.  After a force push I find it
easiest on KohaProductionServer to drop the local branch that follows my
development branch, and create a new one to follow development.

Hope my rambling helps some.  Good luck.