[Koha-devel] virtual hosting of Koha

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Jan 16 12:57:02 CET 2009

Michel Virard <mvirard at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Le Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:07:34 -0500, Han, Yan <hany at u.library.arizona.edu>
> a écrit:
> > In a commercial server, "make install" is not allowed. So does anyone
> > have any luck to run koha in a commercial host? If so, please let me
> > know the configuration changes, and the company's name.
> >
> > It seems that <virtualhost> configuration is not allowed in this
> > commercial server.  If Apache env is not allowed to change in this case,
> > how can we setEnv for "perl5lib" and "Koha_conf"?

Put something like the contents of the virtualhost into an .htaccess
file.  It works since 2.0 but I don't have a current example handy.

There are two ways to install without make install (which is allowed
on some commercial hosts like Bytemark and ContextShift - please
contact me if you'd like to order from them and benefit my
co-operative):-

1. mount your web space with curlftpfs or similar and run make install
on your local workstation;

2. make install on your local workstation, then edit the configuration
files and copy the tree across to your web space.

If the hosting provider is too restrictive, zebra, the cron jobs and
z39.50 access (ports 210 and 9990 UDP) may cause problems too.

BTW: I think this thread should be on the main koha list, not -devel.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)