[Koha-devel] how to handle the link back to amazon?

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Fri Jan 16 13:54:45 CET 2009

Joshua Ferraro a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Nicolas Morin
> <nicolas.morin at biblibre.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>> I want to gather opinions about a possible small change in the way the
>> Amazon covers are handled in the opac on the detailed view of a
>> record.
>> Currently we show the Amazon cover and link back to the product's page
>> on Amazon's web site from the cover itself. Some librarians I talk to
>> are uncomfortable with the idea that their public library will show a
>> link to a (monopolistic (online-only (us-owned
>> (insert-yr-own-fears-here)))) bookseller in such a prominent way :
>> using the whole cover image as a link.
>> At least some of them would be assuaged, I think, by a more discreet
>> link between their opac and Amazon : removing the link from the image
>> itself and providing it through a tiny text just below the image,
>> saying "source : Amazon", might be a solution. See example at
>> http://www.libfly.com/je-suis-une-legende-livre-25918.html
>> What do you think?
>>
> Last I read the terms of use, Amazon required that you link back to
> the specific item who's content you are using.

nicolas just propose to remove the link back from image to put it on a
small text just below the image. I don't think the terms of use specify
"you link back to the specific item *on the image itself*", so it would
still be OK, isn't it ?
> My opinion is that if a library is uncomfortable with Amazon.com's
> business model for making images free, they should instead purchase a
> subscription to a service that provides images without the requirement
> to link back to the item.

/me won't enter this flamewar (at least here in France... just FYI :
another provider in France do that. But to get an estimate of the cost,
you must first send him the list of your isbns (to size how many images
you'll use) + you cant' do a direct URL, you must provide the images
from your server + you can't cache them definetly. Technically awful !)

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com