[Koha-devel] how to handle the link back to amazon?

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Jan 16 13:34:22 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Nicolas Morin
<nicolas.morin at biblibre.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I want to gather opinions about a possible small change in the way the
> Amazon covers are handled in the opac on the detailed view of a
> record.
> Currently we show the Amazon cover and link back to the product's page
> on Amazon's web site from the cover itself. Some librarians I talk to
> are uncomfortable with the idea that their public library will show a
> link to a (monopolistic (online-only (us-owned
> (insert-yr-own-fears-here)))) bookseller in such a prominent way :
> using the whole cover image as a link.
> At least some of them would be assuaged, I think, by a more discreet
> link between their opac and Amazon : removing the link from the image
> itself and providing it through a tiny text just below the image,
> saying "source : Amazon", might be a solution. See example at
> http://www.libfly.com/je-suis-une-legende-livre-25918.html
> What do you think?
Last I read the terms of use, Amazon required that you link back to
the specific item who's content you are using.

My opinion is that if a library is uncomfortable with Amazon.com's
business model for making images free, they should instead purchase a
subscription to a service that provides images without the requirement
to link back to the item.

Josh

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support