[Koha-devel] Advice on managing Git, Branches & Patches

Kyle Hall kyle.m.hall at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 15:52:38 CET 2009

Hello All,

I have some more questions about git. Really, what I'm interested in
is how everyone handles fixing bugs and adding new features to koha,
and submitting the patches.

At the moment I have a private git repo that is up to date with
git.koha.org's master branch. I have 5 commits on top of it,
representing five new features. I was copying my master branch, adding
a feature, then merging back into master, but some strange things were
happening. It should have been a straight fast-forward, nothing had
changed in master, but instead it seems as if the new commit was being
merged in between other commits I had made, does anyone know what
happened?

To make five patches to submit, I created five branches based on
master, then rebased each one leaving only one of the feature commits
for each, thus ending up with five patches starting in 0001. Is this a
reasonable way to work, or is there a better solution?

Also, I submitted all five patches at once, with git send-email, but
only four made it through. The 5th patch ended up bouncing back to me
with the message CORRUPTED MESSAGE. This has happened to me before,
but I found it very odd that it would work fine for 4 out of 5
patches, all submitted with one command.

Thanks for the advice,
Kyle

http://www.kylehall.info
Information Technology