[Koha-devel] Advice on managing Git, Branches & Patches

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:19:10 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Kyle Hall <kyle.m.hall at gmail.com> wrote:

> To make five patches to submit, I created five branches based on
> master, then rebased each one leaving only one of the feature commits
> for each, thus ending up with five patches starting in 0001. Is this a
> reasonable way to work, or is there a better solution?

Yep, that works fine.  The number doesn't really matter to the receiver.

> Also, I submitted all five patches at once, with git send-email, but
> only four made it through. The 5th patch ended up bouncing back to me
> with the message CORRUPTED MESSAGE. This has happened to me before,
> but I found it very odd that it would work fine for 4 out of 5
> patches, all submitted with one command.

That's odd.  The only time I have seen that is when the patch contains
*very* long lines, such that git send-email chokes on it.  In that case, the
solution is to communicate the patch via alternate means like posting to a
webpage, gitweb, FTP, etc.  It may be helpful to update your version of git
if not current, also.

Glad to see your contributions hitting the patches list!
--Joe