[Koha-devel] Sip2 and Sip.pm

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:00:16 CEST 2009

Colin --

Koha SIP can handle dossy ^M line endings just fine.  The detection of line
endings is essentially delegated to the IO::Socket::INET and Socket modules
with local $/ = "\012".

I don't see any reason for a client to send hex 0a or any other control
character in any message field.

In the spec, the transport layer is unspecified.  We have telnet and RAW.
The multiplicity of telnet implementations in the wild was a serious
impediment to development.  In fact, Koha does not even try to provide a
"real" telnet server inasmuch as you cannot send telnet control sequences
and expect any beneficial result.  In particular, you cannot send them
mid-session.  The handshake is minimal.  So in the end, we went with an
implementation that (1) was testable with the best available SIP tools,
namely the 3M emulator, and (2) supported additional telnet implementations,
like putty or those on linux.

Please feel free to identify the vendors with incompatible implementations.
It may be possible to make the line-ending an attribute of the SIPconfig
account, such that you could have a different one for a given SIP terminal.
Or more likely, you can get the clients to send a different line ending.
Other than that, I don't see any available perl interface that provides a
better telnet layer to swap in.

--
Joe Atzberger
LibLime - Open Source Library Solutions