[Koha-devel] implementation of authorised values

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 19:47:35 CEST 2009

2009/7/13 Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer at snv.jussieu.fr>

> Dear all,
>
> I'm wondering how occurrences of authorised values are represented in
> Koha's database.
> I'm aware of the authorised_values table, but that's not my concern here.
> Assume one decides to bind a Koha field to an authorised value. My
> question is: what will finally be stored in that field ?
> Will it be the primary key associated to the authorised value (id), or will
> it be the content of the authorised_value column ?
> In the latter case, if this value changes, how is it updated ?
> Thanks a lot for any help,
> Sébastien.

I don't think the authorised_values table has an id column. The
authorised_value column, which usually contains a code (like DISP or 3,
depending on where the value is used), serves as the primary key, and is
what is stored in whatever column references the authorized value (such as
items.location or items.itemlost). The description of the particular
authorized value is stored in the authorised_values table, and always
fetched from there.

--
Jesse Weaver