[Koha-devel] implementation of authorised values

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 20:33:52 CEST 2009

2009/7/13 Jesse <pianohacker at gmail.com>

> 2009/7/13 Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer at snv.jussieu.fr>
>
>> I'm wondering how occurrences of authorised values are represented in
>> Koha's database.
>> I'm aware of the authorised_values table, but that's not my concern here.
>> Assume one decides to bind a Koha field to an authorised value. My
>> question is: what will finally be stored in that field ?
>> Will it be the primary key associated to the authorised value (id), or
>> will
>> it be the content of the authorised_value column ?
>> In the latter case, if this value changes, how is it updated ?
>> Thanks a lot for any help,
>> Sébastien.
>>

> I don't think the authorised_values table has an id column. The
> authorised_value column, which usually contains a code (like DISP or 3,
> depending on where the value is used), serves as the primary key, and is
> what is stored in whatever column references the authorized value (such as
> items.location or items.itemlost). The description of the particular
> authorized value is stored in the authorised_values table, and always
> fetched from there.

There is a numerical "id" column:

mysql> describe authorised_values;
+------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field            | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id               | int(11)      | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| category         | varchar(10)  | NO   | MUL |         |                |
| authorised_value | varchar(80)  | NO   |     |         |                |
| lib              | varchar(80)  | YES  | MUL | NULL    |                |
| imageurl         | varchar(200) | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
+------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
5 rows in set (0.01 sec)

Example rows:

mysql> select * from authorised_values LIMIT 4;
+----+------------+------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------+
| id | category   | authorised_value |
lib
| imageurl |
+----+------------+------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------+
|  1 | UNIT_TYPE  | 0                | Information not available; Not
applicable                                        | NULL     |
|  2 | UNIT_TYPE  | a                | Basic bibliographic
unit                                                         | NULL     |
|  3 | UNIT_TYPE  | c                | Secondary bibliographic unit:
supplements, special issues, accompanying material | NULL     |
|  5 | PHYS_FORMS | au               | Cartographic
material                                                            |
NULL     |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

But I'm not sure how/when the "id" is used.  The authorised value itself is
typically what is in the linked record.
--
Joe Atzberger
LibLime - Open Source Library Solutions