[Koha-devel] OCLC Connexion Gateway

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Thu Jul 16 13:56:00 CEST 2009

Hi Ian,

2009/7/15 Walls, Ian <Ian.Walls at med.nyu.edu>:
> I wanted to bring this to our community first, in case anyone might also be
> looking into this, or if anyone has pursued it in the past.  It seems like
> something we could certainly make work, and perhaps it would lower the
> barrier of acceptance for some libraries, knowing they could preserve a
> workflow like this.

This would certainly be a desirable feature for users of Koha and
WorldCat.  LibLime has received some interest from customers in
implementing this, but we don't have it on our development calendar.
If you can get it working, great!

> I talked with OCLC at ALA 2009, and while they didn’t have an answer for me
> right then and there, they indicated that I’d probably need to do some
> programming to build an OCLC Gateway client.  I will be calling their direct
> support lines, and hope to get connected to someone on their end who can
> tell me what sort of configurations, protocols and the like I’ll need to put
> in place.  I’ll keep everyone posted.

Thanks.  Some thoughts on that:

* If there's a specific API that Connexion uses or prefers to use for
this import, I hope OCLC can provide open documentation of it.

* The ‡biblios web services for sending bib records are also available
in Koha.  See https://bws.biblios.net/doku.php/sending_data_to_biblios.net
for some documentation on how they work.  If OCLC's gateway software
can be modified or configured to use those web services, that gives
you a starting point.

Regards,

Galen
--