[Koha-devel] OCLC Connexion Gateway

Walls, Ian Ian.Walls at med.nyu.edu
Wed Jul 15 17:01:48 CEST 2009

Developers,

Currently, my catalogers use OCLC Connexion to search for and update bibliographic records.  Upon completion of a record, they simply press F5, and the record is imported into our existing ILS.  The window that pops up gives them the current status of the export, and a report back on the new bibliographic and item records that were created.

We want to preserve this smooth workflow with Koha.

I wanted to bring this to our community first, in case anyone might also be looking into this, or if anyone has pursued it in the past.  It seems like something we could certainly make work, and perhaps it would lower the barrier of acceptance for some libraries, knowing they could preserve a workflow like this.

I talked with OCLC at ALA 2009, and while they didn't have an answer for me right then and there, they indicated that I'd probably need to do some programming to build an OCLC Gateway client.  I will be calling their direct support lines, and hope to get connected to someone on their end who can tell me what sort of configurations, protocols and the like I'll need to put in place.  I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers,

Ian Walls
Systems Integration Librarian
NYU Health Sciences Libraries
550 First Ave., New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-8687

</PRE>
This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and delete the original message. Please note, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The organization accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.<br />
<PRE>