[Koha-devel] Marc Extract and subject headings

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Jun 25 16:17:45 CEST 2009

David Schuster <dschust1 at tx.rr.com> wrote:
> I am doing a full MARC extraction and with the subject headings am seeing:
> $9 with numbers.  I don't see a way to strip that off unless I do it somehow
> after the extraction.  This is messy for those of us sending to another
> utility like Biblios or OCLC.
[...]
> Any suggestions or is this a bug needing to be reported looking for an
> enhancement?

I was recently discussing stripping certain "local 9" tags and subtags
out of MARC records on *import* with Galen Charlton on IRC.  This
discussion was as follows (edited for clarity. E&O mine):-

<slef> is there a reason why koha doesn't blank the local use 9 fields
from staged imports?

<gmcharlt> slef: 9xx tags?  any, or just the ones mapped to items?

<slef> everything except 942 really and 098

<gmcharlt> well, it's not correct behavior to always drop 9xx tags - a
library may want some/all of them.  Of course, one could add an option
to remove such tags.

<slef> when would a library want some/all of them?

<gmcharlt> slef: really depends on what the 9xx from the source are
for; can't just unilaterally remove them thus, a remove selected tags
from import option would be a useful enhancement

<slef> 9xxs are meant to be local use only, aren't they? So very few
libraries will be relying on values in there. But anyway, a "remove
from import" option may be a useful enhancement then?

<gmcharlt> slef: but it could be *their* local use - e.g., order
information from MARC records sent by book vendor, information used by
a local union catalog, bibliographic utility information, etc.

<slef> gmcharlt: I see. Suspect the default should be strip, shouldn't
it?

<gmcharlt> slef: I'd suggest letting user set up a profile defining
which tags they want removed.

So, have we understood it correctly: unless told otherwise, let the
"local-9" tags and subtags through?

Would people want to remove different local-9s from import and export,
or are there cases where the same ones would need removing from both?

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software
Notice http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html        |  .... op