[Koha-devel] sessions in mysql

David Schuster dschust1 at tx.rr.com
Thu May 14 23:27:33 CEST 2009

So we have been having a few issues with locking up servers so I've been
watching show processlist when this happens and it seems that we have a lot
of

REPLACE INTO sessions(id, a-session) etc.. lines when this happens and when
they magically go away everything is running smoothly again.

So what are these "sessions" and how do they play with the system?

If you show columns from sessions you get to columns:
+-----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field     | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| id        | varchar(32) | NO   | PRI |         |       |
| a_session | text        | NO   |     |         |       |
+-----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+

If I do a select count(*) from sessions I get

select count(*) from sessions;
ERROR 1053 (08S01): Server shutdown in progress

but thankfully the server doesn't actually shutdown!

TIPS hints???  usually by the time I contact my support group about it and
they get connected 30 minutes to an hour later things are better.

Lately if it hangs it is only for 10-15 minutes but at that the librarians
are pulling their hair out with 30-40 8 year olds trying to search for a
book/check in or out a book!!

David Schuster
Plano ISD