[Koha-devel] AJAX frameworks

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Thu May 14 14:40:53 CEST 2009

Hi,

2009/4/5 Jesse <pianohacker at gmail.com>:
> Biblios, XML-based: Already in use, though only by Biblios. No wrapper, so
> each of the services has to deal with XML::Simple itself. XML works fairly
> well, though is slightly more work to deal with than JSON on the browser
> end.

But necessary for dealing with XML-based metadata carriers - can't all
be JSON. :)

> C4::Service (recently sent to patches list, so everything dealing with it is
> uncertain): I am slightly biased towards this approach because I wrote it,
> but I think it saves a lot of repetitive work in writing AJAX services. It
> requires its own script, unlike the approach used for the tags script, which
> has the disadvantage of requiring some duplicative coding, but this was not
> too horrible a problem even when writing AJAX circulation.
>
> C4::Service was originally part of the AJAX circulation patchset, but this
> is still in testing, so I decided to send it on its own. It comes with a
> HTML::Template-ish wrapper around CPAN's JSON module.

I've gone ahead and pushed it.  It works fine for the tags and reviews
features, and there are lots of small web services I can envision that
would benefit from this framework.  For the bib services in svc/*, I
will play around with writing a C4::Service::XML to standardize
services that need to emit and consume XML.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton