[Koha-devel] RFC : More granular rules for Reserves

Nahuel ANGELINETTI nahuel.angelinetti at biblibre.com
Mon May 18 11:03:37 CEST 2009

Hi all,

We are trying to find the great way to do more granular rules for
reserves.

I think the faster way is to patch the actual reserves system, but we
are not sure of our solutions is the better one, so we are asking you
for comments.

The reserves will be edited via smart-rules.pl, this will allow to have
rules by branch, category(of borrowers), and item type.
* Which branch to use?
  Our first question was this, we decided to use circcontrol syspref,
  it seems to be the best choice.

* Then, comes the question how to manage if the circcontrol's
  value is item's holding or home branch and the holding doesn't specify
  the item to reserve but the record reserved.
  The solution we propose, is to check if the borrower have
  remaining reserve rights to one of all the libraries which have an
  item of this record, if yes, so we allow the reserve.
  Next step, is the check-in of the item, at each check-in, we will
  check the reserve queue for the record, and the remaining
  reserves rights of the user in this library, if it's true, we allow
  the librarian to put the document in the "waiting to checkout" queue.

The problem we see with this way to do, is if the user checkout
any of his other reserves, the rights at the check-in times won't be
the same as when he did the reserve. So he will have more rights than
he had, and he will be able to do more reserves than allowed(if no
library is specified).

Can we consider we don't care? Or perhaps someone have another idea? Or
perhaps we can force the user to choose one of the items if circcontrol
value isn't one of the item's branch?

Waiting for your comments,

bests,

--