[Koha-devel] Sever name

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Mon May 18 20:14:44 CEST 2009

I'm going to assume that you are using Apache and know nothing about
it's configuration.  First step is finding the configuration. Recent
debian based systems store configuration in a directory
like /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/.  On a Red Hat 5 based system it's
something like /etc/httpd/conf.d/.  Beyond that I can't be much help.

If you are talking specifically about the Koha config then copy (or
symbolic link) koha-httpd.conf to the appropriate directory and edit for
virtual hosting.

There are a couple of changes you'll have to make to the stock Koha
apache config.  On the <VirtualHost 127.0.1.1:80> lines make sure there
is a world reachable IP address there.  Or '*'.  Also make sure there is
a corresponding NameVirtualHost statement in an Apache config file
somewhere.  Debian seems to like to put this statement in
the /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-Default or /etc/apache2/ports.conf
file.  The IP in the VirtualHost line should match that.  Also make sure
to change the ':8080' on the intranet virtual host to ':80'.  Unless the
NameVirtualHost is '<IP>:*', then use the ':*'.

The other thing to check is the ServerName statement.  That is where
you'll set the host name and network domain, it's like a URL.

The last thing is to make sure you have DNS entries to point to the two
host names for the OPAC and Intranet.  Also restart Apache.  Actually
you will want to restart Apache before you make any changes to DNS.  If
Apache doesn't start because the config is messed up you shouldn't have
DNS point at it.

Good luck.