[Koha-devel] RFC : More granular rules for Reserves

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu May 21 12:05:33 CEST 2009

Nahuel ANGELINETTI <nahuel.angelinetti at biblibre.com> wrote:
> MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> a écrit :
> > Why shouldn't we revalidate the rights at the user checkout event?
>
> The problem is, if the user have a reserve on a biblio record(not a
> specific item), we don't know how to count the remaining rights on the
> library where the item is checked-in.
> Like this:
> Library1 : 2 reserves maximum
> Library2 : 3 reserves maximum
>
> Record1 : 1 item in Library1, and 1 item in Library2
>
> User1 have 2 reserves to Library1 et 2 reserves to Library2
> When he will do the reserves on Record1, he will have the right to
> reserve, because he still have a right on library2 which have an item
> of this record.
> But then, when the librarian check-in the document on Library1, do we
> put the document for the User1?(because he had no more rights on this
> library)...
> It's quiet difficult to manage think kind of case. Or we can force the
> user to choose a library where he want to check-out the item.
> Any ideas?

I'd offer the user the choice, with a sensible default (their home
library?  the place they have most unused rights?  the place they use
most often?).  That seems the best solution.

I don't understand "force the user to choose".  It's offering a choice
because there seems no good way to solve this automatically.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef).  LMS developer and supporter for a small, friendly