[Koha-devel] data import question & 008 use in Koha

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Tue Nov 3 17:16:50 CET 2009

Hi,

>Also, our old ILS has a database issue that results in incomplete
>export of records created from original cataloging.  These records
>are missing 008 fields.  We're working out a method of exporting the
>data from the back end and splicing it back into the MARC before
>import, but the data imports into Koha without announced or
>noticeable errors.  I wonder if we're wasting our time.  Does Koha
>use the 008 field for anything?

I answer on the question about missing 008.
I think you can use import without 008 but you loose many indexes
based on 008 values.
In fact 008 is an important point in a good Marc21 record.

If you use Zebra, the definition of indexes are in the file
etc/zebradb/marc_defs/marc21/biblios/record.abs
The indexes connect with 008 are:

date-entered-on-file:n:range(data,0,5),date-entered-on-file:s:range(data,0,5),
pubdate:w:range(data,7,4),pubdate:n:range(data,7,4),pubdate:y:range(data,7,4),pubdate:s:range(data,7,4),
pl:w:range(data,15,3),
ta:w:range(data,22,1),
ff8-23:w:range(data,23,1),ff8-29:w:range(data,29,1),
lf:w:range(data,33,1),
bio:w:range(data,34,1),
ln:n:range(data,35,3),
ctype:w:range(data,24,4),
Record-source:w:range(data,39,0)

So I strongly suggest you to insert records with 008.
But for test you can insert also data without.

Bye

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)
tajoliAT_SPAM_no_prendiATcilea.it