[Koha-devel] Poll for Koha foundation...

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Sep 11 14:46:18 CEST 2009

Steve Wills wrote:
> [...] I would
> propose that we think about a foundation dedicated to managing and
> perfecting solutions for libraries with a structure that draws from
> such successful FOSS projects as Elicpse, Sourceforge, and
> Apache. Such a foundation would be chartered to serve librarian,
> patron and developer alike without any particular alligence to Koha,
> Evergreen or whatever else we spawn in the future that we wish to
> give back to the library community. [...]

Two of the candidates for a non-Koha-specific foundation are the
Apache Software Foundation and Horowhenua Library Trust.  There is
a little more about them on http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=kohafoundation
- would either of those fit the bill?

Sourceforge is not a FOSS project.  It is a proprietary hosting
platform service.  It was once a hosting service based on a FOSS
project, but that changed years ago, provoking creation of many
alternatives like Savannah, GNA, BerliOS and more.

I like the idea of the survey.  It would be good if some of the
already-stated desires could be like/dislike/don't-care tickboxes
at some point in it.  Has anyone time to do it before Tuesday?

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software