[Koha-devel] Creating New Pages in Koha - second request

Richard Forristall Richard.Forristall at goodwillaz.org
Fri Apr 23 00:20:51 CEST 2010

Thank you all for your replies!  It's only when the obvious is staring you in the face do you realize how much there still is to learn.

My issue was permissions -- once I did a chmod on the .pl page, it worked! I made the assumption that if I saved a file to the server it would immediately be executable - wrong :0)

Chris, --> I'm not adding content pages as in a CMS, I'm trying to add custom tools for my librarian.

I've added a "Favorites" link in the staff client pages in the top navigation that links to existing Koha pages -- pages the librarian uses often.  I wanted to add some functionality - in particular to give the librarian an option to run the zebra reindex process as soon as she imports or adds books, etc to the circulation.  So my thought was to have a page where she could go that is custom tools - the zebra reindex being the first.  Make sense?  She doesn't add books very often so I didn't want to unnecessarily run a cron script every few minutes.  I could set the cron script to run daily, but then I run into the problem of what if she adds books in the morning - they aren't available until the cron script runs. So, I wanted to create a way for the librarian to activate the zebra reindexing as soon as (and only when she needs it) she is finished adding books, etc.

I haven't created the process to actually run the zebra reindex yet. Now that I have the new page available, that's the next challenge.  I'm assuming I can use the perl system() method to run the "opt/koha/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -a -b -k -reset" from within a .pl file, that is after setting the KOHA_CONF and PERL5LIB environment variables first.  My plan is to have links on the tools page.  One would be a link to a .pl file that would run the necessary steps to perform the zebra reindex then provide feedback to the librarian.

Again, thanks for your inputs.  It's been years since programming in Perl -- I work in PHP daily, so I'm back in learning mode for Perl.

Thanks,

Rick
Rick Forristall
Programmer Analyst
Goodwill of Central AZ
602.535.4078

Through your generous material and cash donations - we provide free human services programs that create hope, jobs and sustainability for central Arizonans. In 2009 your donations transformed 25,000 lives. Good Stuff. Good Work. Goodwill.

We Put People to Work!
A 2009 Best Places to Work Winner
www.goodwillaz.org