[Koha-devel] Perl::Critic

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Mon Aug 9 17:47:43 CEST 2010

On 09/08/10 16:26, Paul Poulain wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> it cames to my radar that there is a tool called Perl::Critic that could
> be usefull :
> http://search.cpan.org/~elliotjs/Perl-Critic-1.108/lib/Perl/Critic.pm
>
> it's included in Ubuntu, I installed it, run perl-critic *.pl, and get
> some interesting things (without any parameter changes, just the default
> critic)
>
> Could/Should we use such a tool ?

I'd encourage everyone to use it. Even if you disagree with some of its
recommendations, you should at least try to understand why its objecting
to what is in your code. I've been experimenting with running a test
script using Test::Perl::Critic as a possible test for 3.4. (It requires
a couple of bigpatches to remove some error generators from the code.
A lot of what perl critic attempts to enforce are things which are good
practice for large perl projects which is what we are.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell
Chief Software Engineer,