[Koha-devel] question about OpacBrowser preference

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Wed Aug 11 13:21:14 CEST 2010

Le 27/07/2010 23:02, Nicole Engard a écrit :
> Jane sent me this - can you confirm:
>
> [16:54]  <jwagner> Don't know if you were following my question
> earlier, about the OpacBrowser syspref & script?
> [16:54]  <nengard> saw it, but didn't see the answers you got
> [16:55]  <jwagner> There's nothing much in the manual on either the
> syspref or the build_browser_and_cloud.pl script.  Consensus seems to
> be that they're only useful if you want to browse French Dewey
> headings.  Maybe you could check that with BibLibre (I'm assuming they
> did it?) and update the manual?
> [16:55]  <nengard> k
> [16:56]  <jwagner> Should have checked earlier -- git blame seems to
> say it was tipaul -- Paul P? in 2007.
> [16:57]  <jwagner> Main thing is to get something in the manual about
> it being specific for French libraries, so other sites know not to
> worry about it.

Well, in fact, it's right, the script is dedicated to dewey, and fills
some french datas in the database. In fact, I never could find time to
improve my idea.
We should have in Koha something like :
- choose the MARC field you want to create a browser on
- define your grouping categories (hierarchical). 'A' = 'history', 'A0'
=european history, 'A1' = asian history, 'A0FR' =French history, 'A0GE'
= German history, 'A1CH' = chinese history, 'A1JP' = japan history
- define the links between MARC field an grouping categories. "MARC
field = 'value1' => group to 'A0FR'", "MARC field= value2 => group to
'A1JP'", "MARC field=value3 => group to 'A0FR'"
- run the script to build the hierarchy

The build_browser do "almost" that. The limit is that MARC field=676$a
dewey and the grouping categories are hardcoded (french dewey)

HTH

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com