[Koha-devel] 3.4 Development - Need input

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Aug 23 09:53:36 CEST 2010

* savitra sirohi (savitra.sirohi at osslabs.biz) wrote:
> Folks, we are about to start a development project in the areas of:
>
> Acquisitions: Approvals & payments
> Serials: Budgeting and improvements in subscriptions
> Article Indexing/Analytical records
> SDI

Excellent :)

> We expect this to be between 250-350 person days of effort.

Hopefully some of that is parallelisable :) 3.4 Is a short release, (6
months) primarily aimed at perfomance and clean up. Of course any new
features that can be completed in that time are eligible for inclusion
too.

> Since this is our first involvement in software development, I will
> appreciate any input in how to proceed. We are essentially concerned
> about making sure that most or all of the code is accepted. And the
> patches are accepted into 3.4 not in later versions. We also don't
> want to work on stuff others are already working on.

The main things to do is, submit early and submit often. IE don't wait
until you have finished all your work, specially big things, develop
publicly if possible and make things available for QA and other testing
as early as possible. The sooner it's available for Colin (as QA
manager) and I (as Release Manager) to look at it, the more likely it is
to make it in.

The other thing is describe what you are working on in an RFC on the
wiki, and make a bug in bugs.koha-community.org that links to it.

Colin might have other suggestions, but from my point of view the main
thing is communicate lots and develop as publicly as you can.

Chris
--
Chris Cormack
Catalyst IT Ltd.