[Koha-devel] (sort of) Refactoring rebuild_zebra

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Aug 26 12:49:39 CEST 2010

LAURENT Henri-Damien <laurenthdl at alinto.com> wrote: [...]
> We could export biblio into a directory, always the same and then
> process that with inotify.
> In fact I think we need a more powerful and robust export tool.
> And since zebraidx is used in rebuild zebra we could use inotify to
> process that and get the logs, to tell whether the indexation went good
> or bad. [...]

I'm guessing this is reasonably accurate: "inotify is a Linux kernel
subsystem that provides file system event notification. It was written
by John McCutchan with help from Robert Love and later Amy Griffis to
replace dnotify. It was included in the mainline kernel from release
2.6.13 (June 18, 2005), and could be compiled into 2.6.12 and possibly
earlier releases by use of a patch..." http://a.vu/w:Inotify

Why inotify and not sending a signal to the daemon?  Signals would run
more widely than only Linux (which I don't think I need right now, but
after some time trying to get Koha running well on MacOS, I don't want
to sour anyone else's well).

Puzzled,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha