[Koha-devel] Search Engine Changes : let's get some solr

Thomas Dukleth kohadevel at agogme.com
Wed Dec 1 22:14:02 CET 2010

Reply inline:

On Tue, November 30, 2010 21:56, Robin Sheat wrote:
> LAURENT Henri-Damien schreef op ma 04-10-2010 om 10:10 [+0200]:
>> BibLibre investigated in a catalogue based on solr.
>
> Not sure if this is known, but I just saw it:
>
> http://www.indexdata.com/blog/2010/09/solr-support-zoom-pazpar2-and-masterkey
>
> "...we have just completed a project to add support for SOLR targets in
> the ZOOM API implementation in the YAZ library. So YAZ now supports
> Z39.50, SRU/SRW 1.x and the SOLR API."

The fact that some Index Data products recently added some Solr/Lucene
support is helpful and has been cited previously but there are significant
limitations.  I have been investigating deeply examining source code and
communicating with the developers including Sebastian Hammer at Index
Data.

All the options seem to fall short for providing a sufficiently comparable
feature set to what we have with Zebra as a Z39.50/SRU server somewhere
beyond matching query indexes with Solr/Lucene indexes.  Even something as
simple as distinguishing a phrase query from a word list query sent to a
Z39.50/SRU server for rewriting as an appropriate Solr/Lucene query seems
to require more work to develop judging by not finding appropriate source
code.  I am expecting explicit confirmation from a couple of people but
that finding is part of my findings thus far.

The source code may be sufficiently informative but I want a little more
feedback from Index Data and Knowledge Integration before posting a
comparison of Z39.50/SRU server options in the BibLibre Solr/Lucene RFC.
When I last communicated with Ian Ibbotson at Knowledge Integration about
whether he had received my last set of questions about JZKit as I had no
reply, I told him that there was no hurry for an answer as long as he
intended to reply when he had time.  If we are having a meeting about the
issue soon, I should encourage him to answer now or I will rely upon my
findings in the source code.  Ian Ibbotson has been at least as helpful in
enabling me to think better about options from Index Data as he has been
for options from Knowledge Integration.

[...]

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme