[Koha-devel] Where do we insert popularity ?

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Tue Feb 9 15:02:15 CET 2010

Hi to all,

this is a bug that need a preliminary discussion.
'popularity' is a way to sort bibliographic results of a search.

In the Zebra setup this sort is based on a value, the value of all loans done
with all items/copies of a specific bibliographic record.

In NoZebra setup the valuse is calucated every time with an SQL query on
loan data.

In Zebra setup the source of the data is the column biblioitems.totalissues of
the table biblioitems
To use popularity with zebra we need to transer the value in
biblioitems.totalissues
to a specific subfield.

Which subfield do we want to use in Unimarc framework ?
The two unimarc defintion that we have (french and english) say:

-- English: 990$0
-- French: 995$s

But 995 is the unimarc field for items, for the values of the table items.
The value of biblioitems.totalissues is connect with the bibliographic record,
not with items level.

So i prefer the English framework and to use 990$0 subfield to record
the value of biblioitems.totalissues
If you don't want to use 990, I suggest to use 942$0 (the subfield
used in English Marc21 framework)

Clearly we need to fix the french unimarc framework and the index
definiton of Zebra
(file ../etc/zebradb/marc_defs/unimarc/biblios/record.abs)

So, what do you think of this proposal ?

Thank you for your attention

Bye

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)