[Koha-devel] Stack Smashing

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Jan 6 12:07:51 CET 2010

"Chadwick, John, DCA" <john.chadwick at state.nm.us> wrote: [...]
> *** stack smashing detected ***: zebraidx terminated
> ======= Backtrace: =========
> /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x48)[0xb6d7cda8]
> /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x0)[0xb6d7cd60]
> /usr/lib/libidzebra-2.0.so.0[0xb7fc10c4]
> /usr/lib/libidzebra-2.0.so.0[0xb7f69a0a]
> [0x13c]
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated on this one. No one has
> answered on the Zebra list.

[koha user list removed - please don't crosspost.]

Sounds like something caught by a protection system to me.  On further
searching, it seems that Ubuntu has gcc SSP enabled by default now:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GccSsp

It is probably best to chase this up with the Zebra list because it
looks like it is deep in libidzebra internals.  Worst case, it may
need debug versions of libc6, libidzebra and zebraidx running under
gdb to find out exactly which line of source code is causing that.

A bad fix is to rebuild libidzebra with -fno-stack-protector in
CFLAGS somehow ("export CFLAGS=-fno-stack-protector" might work)
but that won't fix any underlying cause and may well result in a
worse crash.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software