[Koha-devel] Perl compatability

Joe Ellis joeateb at me.com
Tue Jan 5 18:42:26 CET 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 3:25 AMESTTuesday1/5/10, Paul Poulain wrote:

> this warning should be removed. Koha works perfectly well with 5.10
> (otherwise, it means all our hosted customer have a non working version
> of Koha and never saw it :o) )
>
> --
> Paul POULAIN

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your kind reply.
I am a retired person with experience in developing databases on Macintosh computers and I have been asked to assist the librarian at a small private school in Connecticut to upgrade the Library's tool for administering their small library. The tool they were using was called "Winnebago" and was hosted on an OS 8.5 Macintosh. The application can generate an export file in MARC21 format and after a lot of looking, I found Koha, which looks like an ideal solution for them to transition to.

However, I am having a terrible time trying to get Koha to run. I think I need some serious hand holding to get this thing going: I have tried several different installations and I can get no further than a web page that says "production mode - trapped fatal error"
My last effort started with:
installed Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala along with Apache2 and MySQL

Downloaded and installed: yaz-3.0.52 and idzebra-2.0.43

Downloaded koha-3.00.05 ; used dselect to install the perl modules then cpan to install 4 modules Makefile.PL said I was missing.

Started the zebra server and zebraqueue daemon.

It says I should point my browser at http://<servername>:8080/ to get the Web Installer, but all I see is the fatal error message.

Can you point me at the places I need to look to get a clue? Or perhaps there is someone on the list who could point me to an installation "recipe" that I can follow.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Joe Ellis
Canterbury, CT