[Koha-devel] Improving Koha's OPAC Search

Chad G. Hansen cgh at byu.edu
Wed Jan 13 16:46:48 CET 2010

My group is submitting a proposal for a grant that will hopefully allow us
to implement our new search technology with one of the existing open source
ILS that are being used around the world. We would like to work with Koha
(and maybe it would be more appropriate to talk to the Zebra developers
about this. What do you think?) to see if we can improve its OPAC search
with ideas or features from our own system. We are just in the proposal
phase right now. Attached is a portion of a previously rejected proposal.
The section attached is our previous design/plan section for what we would
like to accomplish.

What we are looking for is an endorement by the Koha (or Zebra) development
community of the idea. A willingness for someone in the development
community to possibly work with us in our attempt to potentially improve
Koha's search.
Our goal is to work with the development community to implement any
improvements we can and then give what we have done to the community (we
have no desire to maintain after the 3 year grant project is up).

Is this the right venue for this request?
What is the concensus from this group?
Do you need more information before commiting to endoring the idea to
possibly work with us in the future (assuming our grant is granted)?

Thanks,
Chad Hansen