[Koha-devel] Improving Koha's OPAC Search

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Jan 19 02:46:02 CET 2010

"Chad G. Hansen" <cgh at byu.edu> wrote:
> [...] Attached is a portion of a previously rejected proposal.
> The section attached is our previous design/plan section for what we would
> like to accomplish.

Please don't send attachments to mailing lists unless it's usual
practice (like sending a patch to a software development list) or you
really have no alternative. You will be taking up a lot of space,
roughly the size of the attachment multiplied by the number of people
on the list. One 3Mb waste is bad. 300 times 3Mb gets painful if
common.

If it's mainly text, put the text as text in the body of a text
email.  It's really much easier for more people to read.

> What we are looking for is an endorement by the Koha (or Zebra) development
> community of the idea. A willingness for someone in the development
> community to possibly work with us in our attempt to potentially improve
> Koha's search.
> Our goal is to work with the development community to implement any
> improvements we can and then give what we have done to the community (we
> have no desire to maintain after the 3 year grant project is up).
>
> Is this the right venue for this request?

Probably.

> What is the concensus from this group?

I'd expect everyone to like exploring search improvements.  I'm
surprised that this didn't get a reply from someone else while
I was snowbound.

> Do you need more information before commiting to endoring the idea to
> possibly work with us in the future (assuming our grant is granted)?

I'd need to know how any workers we'd commit would get paid.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software