[Koha-devel] Importing MARC Records - Missing Item Type

Richard Forristall Richard.Forristall at goodwillaz.org
Mon Jan 25 22:21:44 CET 2010

Hello all - hope you had a great weekend!

I've spent the better part of 2 days searching for a solution to my
librarian's dilemma -- when she downloads MARC records from vendors then
imports, stages and manages the records, she is having to manually enter
each record's item/item type whenever she tries to checkout anything
(that she hasn't yet added the item/type).

I went into my troubleshoot/research mode thinking there is:

1.  A standard MARC record format that all vendors use that includes the
item type.

2.  A standard MARC-to-Koha mapping system so the item type is
automatically stored in the koha database.

Being very new to library systems and Koha, I'm coming up short on
answers, so I'm asking for assistance.

1.  Are my above assumptions correct?  If so, what, if anything do I
need to do to turn on the MARC -> Koha mapping?

2.  If my assumptions are wrong, what am I missing and how can I help
eliminate this challenge for my librarian.

Thanks in advance for taking the time out of your busy schedule to
review and assist with this issue :--)

Rick
Rick Forristall
Programmer Analyst