[Koha-devel] Importing MARC Records - Missing Item Type

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Mon Jan 25 23:18:49 CET 2010

As far as I know your assumptions are wrong.  There is a standard for
item classification in the LDR of the marc record, but I'm not aware of
any standard among software vendors for using that.  And there is no
MARC to Koha mapping standard.  Not even a feature, but I've thought of
making such a thing.  My librarians have had the same problem.

What I've done to get around this is to arrange with vendors to ship
custom records with a certain value in the $942c field.  This is the
biblio-level item type, which should be used as the default when adding
new copies.  The trick is to make sure the vendor has a valid Item Type
Code in that field.

Good luck.