[Koha-devel] Koha and Subversion

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Wed Jan 27 16:18:43 CET 2010

On 27/01/10 14:07, Richard Forristall wrote:

> Thanks for the 'heads up' on git.
>
> 1.  I'm not using git out of pure ignorance.  Are you referring to http://git.koha.org or using git vice svn for version control?

git.koha.org is the repository but we were talking about git in general,
> http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:git_usage
is informative about the process in general

> 2.  Colin, in your message you talk about contributing my own changes back to the project.  I'm new at koha (started supporting our librarian about 4 weeks ago) so this is all new to me.  I really like the community model of making the koha software more robust, but what happens when my changes don't apply across all koha users?  Branding for example.  I certainly don't want to force irrelevant changes onto the entire community.

git makes it very easy to maintain local branches, for things specific
to your site or for development, It also makes it easy to merge updates
into them. So you could have in your local repository a branch holding
the local changes, as well as branches tracking the git.koha.org version
> 3.  We use Subversion for all our other version control processes
You can use git-svn to create a git repository tracking a subversion
repository giving you the ability to use gits local branches for
development but pull from and commit to the subversion repository. It's
also a good way to familiarize yourself with git if migrating in a
subversion environment.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell