[Koha-devel] Koha and Subversion

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Wed Jan 27 15:16:04 CET 2010

Hi Rick,

Welcome on board!

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Richard Forristall
<Richard.Forristall at goodwillaz.org> wrote:
> Nicole Engard and Colin Campbell,
>
> Thanks for the 'heads up' on git.
>
> 1.  I'm not using git out of pure ignorance.  Are you referring to http://git.koha.org or using git vice svn for version control?

Take a look at http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:git_usage
for more information on Koha and Git.

> 2.  Colin, in your message you talk about contributing my own changes back to the project.  I'm new at koha (started supporting our librarian about 4 weeks ago) so this is all new to me.  I really like the community model of making the koha software more robust, but what happens when my changes don't apply across all koha users?  Branding for example.  I certainly don't want to force irrelevant changes onto the entire community.

All non-branding changes are welcome and encouraged.

> 3.  We use Subversion for all our other version control processes, so it was momentum that led me to use it for maintaining my local modifications.  We have Koha on a live server and a development server with the idea of having Subversion "in between."

You can run your production Koha on a git repo which is a clone of
your development repo which is a clone of the main Koha repo. Thus
changes are pushed either way with great ease.

> 4.  I will spend some time looking at http://git.koha.org and git itself.
>
> 5.  Thanks again for the heads up.  This Koha dev community is a tremendous resource :--)

Your always welcome. Consider jumping on #koha as well if you need
help or just like the company.

Kind Regards,
Chris