[Koha-devel] Make koha dance!

Marc Chantreux marc.chantreux at biblibre.com
Thu Jun 3 09:19:01 CEST 2010

hello koha people,

As Paul said in his last message, we try to know if it's possible to
introduce a clear layer structure in koha (actually: we think it's
possible).

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 09:59:24AM +0200, Paul Poulain wrote:
> Koha can be seen as a stack with communication between the closest layers. 4
> layers at all (does it make you remember TCP/IP? ;) )

> ↓↑
> CONTROLLER: Controls the model by transmitting the CRUD tasks requested by the
> VIEW
> ↓↑
> MODEL: Business objects, as close as possible to the real world
> ↓↑
> PERSISTENCE: Make the Business objects persistent

the most important layer is the MODEL and we would like to use very
modern perl OO paradigms (as MooseX::Declare) to clean it. The problem
there is that Moose is a bottleneck at start time so CGI scheme must
be removed first. It leads us to the CONTROLLER part which is the part
where we can introduce an MVC framework.

So we tried to make koha run on top of Dancer ... this is my report on
the WIP, we hope you'll enjoy:
http://www.tinybox.net/2010/06/03/dance-koha-dance/

Regards

--
Marc Chantreux
BibLibre, expert en logiciels libres pour l'info-doc