[Koha-devel] memcached?

Cindy Murdock Ames cmurdock at ccfls.org
Fri Jun 4 16:42:51 CEST 2010

Hi all,

The good news:  CCFLS went live with 3.2alpha2 on Tuesday!  The bad
news:  our transactions are *really* slow at times.  I suspect the
culprit is probably a ton of simultaneous mysql activity.  I understand
Chris has been working on adding memcached support to Koha, and I'm
hoping that will help.  I tried enabling it yesterday, but it didn't
seem to do anything, so I must have been missing something, or maybe
it's not implemented quite yet.  Can anyone tell me what we need to do
to get it going?

Our system:  3.2 alpha2 (with zebra) on debian lenny (64bit), 16gb ram,
two dual core opteron 2214 processors.  We have nine libraries
throughout the county with about 15 circ stations simultaneously
circulating items at the busiest times.  We have about 29,500 borrowers
and 309,000 items.  We just upgraded from a far less powerful dev_week
system which didn't have these issues.

What I've done:
installed the debian packages for memcached and libcache-memcached-perl
installed Cache::Memcached::Fast from CPAN (had to force it to install)
Added these lines to the config section of koha-conf.xml
     <memcached_servers>127.0.0.1:11211</memcached_servers>
     <memcached_namespace>KOHA</memcached_namespace>

I've also tried mod_perl, which does seem to improve page load time
(from 0.8 sec to 0.1 sec on the login page, for example) but I've
disabled it again for now because it seemed to cause some errors.
Obviously I need to work on that some more.

Thanks in advance!!

Cindy