[Koha-devel] New preferences editor

Frederic Demians frederic at tamil.fr
Thu Jun 17 07:39:54 CEST 2010

> about that new preferences editor, I really can appreciate the work
> Jesse Weaver did. I like the javascript
> and the hierarchy and the search and the way to update the whole page
> at once... Really.

I agree. The idea is good. The implementation is arguable.

> - requires the edition of many files (sql and pref) rather than
> centralizing things.

The procedure for adding a new syspref has changed :

    * Before:
          o add an entry in systempreferences.pl file to distribute the
            syspref to an editor tab (no so good!)
          o add a revision to updatedatabase.pl to append the new
            syspref to an installed Koha
          o add an entry into kohastructure.sql
    * Now, with the new editor:
          o add a revision to updatedatabase.pl to append the new
            syspref to an installed Koha
          o add a entry into kohastructure.sql
          o add the syspref in a YAML file

I'd had preferred system preferences to be outsided from the DB and put
into a single config file.

> - the translation of the yaml file will be clumsy (think of arabic ppl
> who donot have the same way to tell Do don't)

+1 -- It's stil an issue with French. I can't imagine what non-latin
languages translator will have to cope with. The syntax is different and
so the way a syspref can be embedded into a sentence.  With the current
syspref editor, a preference (and 2 sometime) is expressed in a sentence
which is cut in several parts. The syspref is inserted somewhere in the
sentence, roughly at the beginning, the middle or the end. This position
which make sense in English has to be preserved by the translator. Very
often it will oblige the translator to construct sentences which are
syntactically ill-formed in his language.

> We are therefore compelled not to use that system....

What does it mean?

--
Frédéric DEMIANS