[Koha-devel] New preferences editor

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Thu Jun 17 10:51:26 CEST 2010

On 17 June 2010 17:39, Frederic Demians <frederic at tamil.fr> wrote:

>> about that new preferences editor, I really can appreciate the work Jesse
>> Weaver did. I like the javascript
>> and the hierarchy and the search and the way to update the whole page at
>> once... Really.
>
> I agree. The idea is good. The implementation is arguable.
>
>> - requires the edition of many files (sql and pref) rather than
>> centralizing things.
>
> The procedure for adding a new syspref has changed :
>
>   * Before:
>         o add an entry in systempreferences.pl file to distribute the
>           syspref to an editor tab (no so good!)
>         o add a revision to updatedatabase.pl to append the new
>           syspref to an installed Koha
>         o add an entry into kohastructure.sql
>   * Now, with the new editor:
>         o add a revision to updatedatabase.pl to append the new
>           syspref to an installed Koha
>         o add a entry into kohastructure.sql
>         o add the syspref in a YAML file
>
> I'd had preferred system preferences to be outsided from the DB and put into
> a single config file.
>
>> - the translation of the yaml file will be clumsy (think of arabic ppl who
>> donot have the same way to tell Do don't)
>
> +1 -- It's stil an issue with French. I can't imagine what non-latin
> languages translator will have to cope with. The syntax is different and so
> the way a syspref can be embedded into a sentence.  With the current syspref
> editor, a preference (and 2 sometime) is expressed in a sentence which is
> cut in several parts. The syspref is inserted somewhere in the sentence,
> roughly at the beginning, the middle or the end. This position which make
> sense in English has to be preserved by the translator. Very often it will
> oblige the translator to construct sentences which are syntactically
> ill-formed in his language.

We mustn't forget that before we couldn't translate the
systempreferences at all, or we could only do it into one language you
certainly couldn't have it translated in more than one, from that
respect its a huge improvement.

So before we dump on it too much, lets remember that. Lets also
remember that Jesse did it, while others talked about it, someone went
and wrote some code, lets do more of that and less of denigrating
others work.

Chris